The Evansville Fire Department says a Friday morning fire on West Virginia Street was started by accident.
Crews were called to a home in 1000 block of W. Virginia Street around 7:00 a.m. on Friday morning after someone called 911 and said they smelled rubber burning and saw smoke.
When EFD crews got there, they found a fire in the basement and extinguished it in about five minutes.
Neighbors told firefighters that the home is vacant and unsecured and that homeless people use it.
According to EFD, a homeless individual interviewed by investigators said he was using a stick with a cloth as a torch to see in the basement and accidentally started the fire.
The fire was ruled accidental and no injuries were reported.